From: pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net]On Behalf Of David
Plotnikoff
Sent: Monday, June 07, 2004 12:47 PM
To: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Cc: jglyons@sisqtel.net; jomike47@earthlink.net; losthiker@sisqtel.net
Subject: [pct-l] any conditions update for Section O?

Greetings from a long-time PCT-l lurker and section hiker. In anticipation
of my first PCT trip of the year, I'm looking for last-minute intelligence
on weather and trail conditions for Northern California's Section O, also
known as the "Garden Spot of the PCT."

I'll be starting Saturday at Peavine Creek and headed northbound to I-5.

I know the historic temperature range for this week is somewhere between 40
for nighttime lows and low 80s during the day and the chance of
precipitation is about 5 percent on any given day in June. And I know from
the CDEC snow sensors that the Stout's Meadow station has been clear of
snow for two weeks now. But that's about all I know. The nice lady at
Shasta/Trinity NF headquarters office in Redding said that as far as she
can tell no NF personnel have been into that section so far this season.
Which leads me to wonder what the blowdown situation is going to be.

Following a similar thread on PCT-l recently and referencing older trail
journals, I see that chance of encountering *some* snow on north-facing
slopes, particularly in the stretch around Mushroom Rock,  is pretty
significant. But the final melt-off date seems to vary greatly from year to
year.

So I'm weighing equipment options (gaiters, ice ax, etc.) against the
chance I'm going to encounter a really gnarly slope or avalanche chute in
an area where I can't easily bushwhack over to 38N10.

Call me paranoid, but two years ago in this very same week in June I had
some *really* interesting walking through 18 inches of snow on a slope
called Elephant's Back south of Echo Summit. Even with an ice ax, it was
very nervy to cross. The temps were up in the 70s, but nevertheless 200
yards of avalanche chute just about ruined my whole day.

If anyone's been through Grizzly Peak, Bartle Gap, Mushroom Rock, etc. in
the past few days, could you zip me a quick note on what you found? Thank
you very much. I'll try to post a detailed conditions report when I get
back.

Thanks!

David Plotnikoff