[pct-l] We're hiking Washington PCT this year

I don't understand why it "seems only sensible" to skip the Cascade
Locks to Panther Creek section of the PCT unless it is a need to
re-supply in Carson (in which case Carson is a short hitch from Panther
Creek anyway). The Carson route was at one time a temporary road detour
'til the PCT was completed, but otherwise its just a road. Since I live
in Portland I enjoy hiking from the Columbia to Panther Creek almost
every year. The trail is first class as the local PCTA puts in probably
a hundred hours of maintainence each spring. This part of the PCT has
been criticized for being needlessly circuitous, but I think it provides
great exposure to the Columbia Gorge and its transition to the
Washington Cascades, plus it passes through some great old growth. -Ron