[pct-l] We're hiking Washington PCT this year

Regarding water: I don't remember using a filter at all in Washington. Water
from streams all seemed good.

>From reading about the detour in northern Washington, it seems like the two
rivers may give you a big challenge until the middle of August. I'd be
concerned about them.

Good luck and enjoy.

Marshall Karon
Portland, OR
m.karon@comcast.net

----- Original Message -----
From: "Laraine Downer" <laraine@sbcglobal.net>
To: <pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Cc: "Melouise Pfeffer" <emel@sonic.net>
Sent: Saturday, June 05, 2004 12:33 PM
Subject: [pct-l] We're hiking Washington PCT this year

> Hello to all from Laraine (Ladeda) and Melouise (Pell Mell): We're
planning on hiking Washington this year beginning July 12th at Cascade Locks
and heading north!  We'll take the alternate route thru Carson to Panther
Creek c.g. (seems only sensible). Have a couple of questions we'd appreciate
feedback on:

> 1.  We know this is a little early starting but are limited to being home
before 8/20 - we'll definitely check on trail conditions before starting &
be prepared to skip around if necessary - any thoughts on snow conditions -
shall we bring an ice axe?

> 2.  What's everyone using for water treating/filtering these days? In 2000
on my attempted thru-hike I used the Safewater Anywhere inline filter but
that doesn't seem to be available now.

> 3.  Does it make sense to hitch out to Trout Lake? Is there much traffic
on that road?

> It's good to be back on the list, I have some hiker friends from 2000 on
trail again this year (Nacona, Aussie Crawl, etc.). Sorry I wasn't able to
come to ADZPCTKOP this year but I'm doing a "mental thru-hike" now (just
finished my first year of college at ripe old age of 62 - planning on
getting a BA, loving it except it cuts into my hiking time).

> Regards to all .....
> and, GO TAKE A HIKE!
> Ladeda (PCT 2000 solo Campo to Sierra City, Pell Mell & I finished
California '02, hiked Oregon '03 - we're getting there!!!)