[pct-l] Old PCT marker on Ebay!

Joanne Lennox <goforth@cnw.com> wrote:
Okay, all you righteous people out there- What about an old PCT marker that
is off in the woods somewhere on an abandoned trail( I mean the kind of
trail you can not find most of the time, that has not been maintained for 20
years). Seems to me that you should remove it in wilderness areas as it is
intrusive and no longer serves the intended purpose.

i beg to differ on this point. a couple of years ago i set out to do the oregon skyline trail,not the P.C.T.,but the old historic skyline route. some parts of the historic route were offically abandoned and easly travelled while other parts were almost nonexistance.On both routes i saw old markers,it was akin to finding an old pioneer blaze,which in a way it was.Heres the point,these just ar`nt little pieces of metal ,these are a pieces of our history ,part of the heritage, of not only the p.c.t.,but the modern conservation movement. they are a window into another age,reminding us all of where the trail came from.

I feel strongly about this.One of my other hobbies is tracking down,and visiting ghost towns.Last summer i traveled down to california and visited a few places i had`nt seen in  years,and coulnd belive some of what i saw. towns fairly intact 10 or 15 years ago were almost gone,some buildings were burned for firewood,others vandalized. any artifact that could be carried away was carried away. true the towns were abandoned and no longer served there intended pupose,but still, i feel the loss as another part of our history is lost forever.I think we need to fight to protect the little we have left,if that make me a righteous s.o.b. so be it.

rob