[pct-l] JMT Happy Isles to Tuolumne - Solo Advice

>The Inyo NF Ranger out of Bishop tells me that, though bear cans are not required in this area, he HIGHLY recommends them. He says there's a bear who's been "trained from a cub" to take down ANYTHING hung...
>
>Really....
>
>I'm inclined to think this is ranger hyperbole. ANYTHING hung? That's an impressive bear!

Good places to camp on this route, if you want to be around lots of
people:  Lower Cathedral Lakes, Sunrise Hi Sierra Camp (backpackers
section) Clouds Rest Junction, Little Yosemite Valley.  This is by far
the most crowded trail in the Sierras,  its closest rival being Lyell
Canyon.  I would not expect any of the old cables or poles to be
provided or operational anymore, as this whole area is now a bear-can
mandatory area.
We once camped at Cloud's Rest junction, summited Half Dome in the
morning, and did Cloud's Rest in the late afternoon.  Both were
superlative experiences.
The last time we ever hung our food in a tree was at Lower Cathedral
Lakes.  We did it all correctly as far as height and distance  out from
tree and so forth.  A really large cinnamon bear just climbed the tree
and tore the limb off and feasted on our bags all night.  The next night
our remaining food went on the poles at Sunrise camp;  a bear took all
our water bottles out of the open pockets of our packs and bit every one
that had ever held koolaid or gatorade.  On the third night at Clouds
Rest junction,  a bear pulled out one of the day packs that had been
mauled the first night and sucked on it and shredded it for hours.  Then
there were the air horns, the screaming and the pot banging.  The
scenery is just amazing, but you will be lucky to get a decent night's
sleep.
For several years after that we stealth camped with great success.  For
the last few years we have used bear cans, and this year we are adding a
slingshot to the arsenal.  A rather assertive bear last summer seemed to
want to dine on our llamas.  Also,  a llama was killed by a bear (or
lion) in Sequoia NP last year.  So we will be prepared to defend our stock.
I no longer doubt that the persistent and experienced bear will do
whatever it takes to get anything you hang out of a tree. If they can't
bring down the bags, they will just bring down the whole tree limb.
Never underestimate an animal that can learn to ride a bicycle.
Marion