[pct-l] JMT Happy Isles to Tuolumne - Solo Advice

I agree it is difficult to counterballence. Have spent 1/2 hour just getting the food hung.
Although I just backpacked with Snickers from Hiker Town to Walker pass without the bear can, It sure is nice to have when you hit the Sierras. And I point out, you don't have to carry rope with you anymore. If you carry rope, we found 50' was to short if you wanted to properly counter ballence. I perfer 75'. So your not really gaining 1LB 11 oz (baracade), its more like 1LB and 6oz? when you discount the rope you don't have to take.

-Mountain Goat-

Steve Courtway <scourtway@bpa-arch.com> wrote:
it's not just "a" bear.......it's common knowledge hanging is becoming less
and less effective. It's rather difficult to PROPERLY counterbalance your
bags such that there's nothing within a bear's reach, in the dark, at the
end of a long day, etc. even if you have the perfect tree. After a few days
with no bear sightings, alot of folks start to get lazy and then blackie
STRIKES !!!! heh.

For me, my entire gear selection was based upon fitting a 10 day bearikade
inside a golite gust, and still staying light - a worse case scenario for
the South Sierra. Conversations with rangers stay positive, I can camp
wherever I feel like, etc. etc. etc.

s.c.