[pct-l] Re: PCT: Manning to Stehekin?

> From: "David Canty, PhD" <dc23@nyu.edu>
> Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 13:49:08 -0400
> Subject: [pct-l] PCT: Manning to Stehekin?
>
> As many of you may know, a large segment of the PCT from Steven's Pass
> to Stehekin, WA, has been closed due to flood damage last Fall.  I've
> heard that hiking the approx 100 miles south on the PCT, from Manning to
> Stehekin, is also beautiful, and am considering doing it in early July.

In some years that would be too early and you could deal with too much snow.
This year I think you'd be safe. A look at the NRCS report for Harts Pass
shows that right now there is only 12.5 inches on the ground at 6,500 feet.

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/snotel/snotel.pl?sitenum=515&state=wa

> Has anyone out there done this, and if so, how was it?  Any difficult
> sections (e.g., snow-covered passes)? Also, we have to fly in from New
> York and midwest, so where would we go (Vancouver?) and how can we get
> to Manning park (e.g., is there a bus?)?  Any tips/advice would be most
> appreciated.  Many thanks! -- David

It is one of the most beautiful sections of the PCT in the state. Since I
live here, I haven't had to take a bus from Vancouver to Manning, but I'm
pretty sure someone else on the list can give you details on the connections
(or buy yogi's PCT handbook). Probably is best to fly into Vancouver and out
of Seattle.

For a look at pictures and a trip report from my 1995 trip on this section,
see

http://staff.washington.edu/griffin/pct_harts_pass.html

Tom Griffin
Seattle