[pct-l] Whitney Portal to PCT

Dude

Butch the previous owner of VV on his website warmed that you should remove
your fenders from your car before going up to Edison Lake.
shagalow
Lonetrail
Whitney Portal elevation at trailhead is approx 8600'.  The first 9
miles will take you to trailcrest, which is 13,777'.  If you decide to
continue to the whitney summit (you'd be stupid not to continue unless
you just can't get a permit), then that is another 2-ish miles and tops
out at 14,497'.  After that, the trail varies between 7700ft at Lake
Edison and 13,200' at Forrester Pass, which is approximately 20 miles
from the whitney summit.

- The distance from the whitney portal trailhead to the pct is probably
about 12-14 miles.  I dunno for certain, but its about 9 mile sto trail
crest, then another few miles to the PCT.

- Good camping between whitney portal and PCT are limited to Lone Pine
Lake at 9800' (actually, you may not be able to camp here, i forget),
Outpost camp at about 10,300, and Trail Camp at 12,000ft and about 6
miles from the portal.  Trail camp is also just below the infamous "99
switchbacks".  If you are adventurous, you can also camp on the summit
of Whitney. However, be sure the forcast is 100% clear skies for days
in advance because the summit of whitney get sstruck by lightning all
the time.

- If you are planning on exiting the trail at Edison Lake, are you
familiar with the drive??  Its BRUTAL.  I forget the exact numbers, but
it takes like 2 hrs to go 12 miles or something rediculous like that.
There are several parts of the road that you'd swear are too narrow for
a car to fit on and too many blind, narrow, cliff-hanging, guardrail-
less curves to count.A MUCH easier exit point is Red's Meadow about 35
miles north of Edison Lake.

Good luck.

peace,
dude