[pct-l] Big Sierra Snow Storm

Well, I just came back from backpacking on my Grand Tour in the Sierras.
Wednesday I went in Lyell Canyon out of Tuolumne Meadows and it was 65 degrees
with very little trail snow.  A little wet in some places because of the melt
off.  Very nice.

It rained that evening and night.  The next morning I am in my tent reading a
book on mountain men in the West.  I go to sleep for a snooze.  I wake up and
notice that there is no noise.  The rain had stopped.  Oh, joy.  A great day
of backpacking at hand.

I look up at my TarpTent roof and notice no rain drops, but slush type
material.  I look outside.  A winter wonderland and snowing hard.

I pack up and head back (3-hour walk) to Tuolumne Meadows Wilderness Ranger
Station.  It is near blizzard conditions.  Of course, being a long time reader
of this list, I am prepared with the proper gear to ride out emergencies - my
solar umbrella, rain parka, SnowSeal socks for my hiking sandals, and Gortex
mittens.  I get to my car in the parking lot and there is at least 5-6 inches
of snow on the roof.  I turn in my rental bear canister and ask about the road
out to Hwy. 395.  It is closed.  Plows expected in several hours, maybe.  I
drive out on the main road and eventually get behind several trucks with chains.
 I get out with no problem, but I did have a front wheel car, which makes a
BIG difference.

On the way home down Hwy. 395 the whole Sierras are covered with storm
clouds.  Wow.  In 35 years of backpacking, I have never seen such a change in
weather.  At least not this fast and this much.  Like they say, every time you go
out, you learn something new or something you had forgot.

Anyway, a report from the trail this last week.  Happy trails, Switchback