[pct-l] Followup Backpack Question

Somebody at kickoff this year told me that we carry things according to our
fears of no having them. People who fear being cold tend to carry lots of
clothes. People who fear being hungry carry lots of food.

I think Roy's advice to test your gear on outings before a thru-hike are a
way of avoiding such fears. If you know how much you will eat, then you
don't carry lots of extra (heavy) food. If you know how to layer our clothes
in cold, wet weather then you will carry only the clothing layers you need.

This whole process of taking your complete backpacking gear on several
outings to shake it down makes a lot of sense. If you carry something for
several days and don't use it, then you should question if you really need
it. Probably not, unless it is a safety item.

Ken