[pct-l] Useful camera

I have found the Minolta DiMAGE G500 at 5.0 mega pixels to be a very compact and lightweight digital camera.  The camera weighs 8.1 oz, and the recharger with extra battery weighs 6.6 oz.   Each rechargeable battery weighs 0.8 oz. and costs about $15 for a generic battery.  The battery life seems to last a lot longer than my first digital camera which was a Sony.  I could go all day and take pictures, review and delete pictures without having to use another battery or recharge.  You could extend number of pictures you could take by not reviewing and deleting pictures and minimizing the use of the flash.

I use 256 MB SD cards which hold up to 120 pictures taken at 2592 X1944 with compression at fine.  It can also use the Sony memory stick storage cards as well.  The USB adapter plug weighs 3.2 oz. which makes for quick downloads to CDs or to a PC.  The lens cover says f=8-24mm 1:2.8-4.9.  I used this camera in Thailand and Myanmar recently where the temps were up to 104 degrees and high humidity with occassional downpours and it just kept on working well.  It has a clamshell cover that offers good protection and because it is so small, I could hang it around my neck and stick it in my shirt pocket for quick retreival.

I paid about $400 for the camera in December, and now thru www.pricegrabber.com  the price is now about $325.

The pictures come out pretty good and enlargements up to 11X14 are equal in quality to 35mm film.

Rick

AKA:  Hoov