film usage was [pct-l] Bear Vault Canister PCT Rental Program

David,

            The N55 looks ok (no experience with it I'm a canon user). But I would check the availability of batteries along the way or consider going with fm10 or fm3a or a used all manual focus (fg-20). If you stick with the n55 you might look for a different lens. 28-80 seems to me to be wrong for either landscape or animal/plant shots. Sigma makes some nice wide angle for not much or even take a look at the Tokina plastic fantastic 19-35 not the sharpest lens out there but its $180. You might even be able to find a 24-200 (wide enough for most things and long enough for some animal and plant shots) that's not to heavy and not to expensive. Since you said that photography is a big part of the trip make sure you can get the shots you want whether that's landscape or animal. You might even look for a short (table top) tripod that would give you a chance to get those morning sunrise shots that you can't handhold.

-Philip Hutson