[pct-l] Fwd: Sierra Snow Melt

The Sierra snow melt is in full rage.  There is hardly any snow registering
on any of the snow survey sites and only 4 inches at 11,400 feet elevation at
Tyndall Creek site just south of Forester Pass.

 If I were hiking this year I would be willing to risk entering the Sierra
now, but would carry an ice axe and perhaps instep crampons for getting over the
higher passes.  In two weeks or so, this equipment might not be even
necessary.

This early of a snow meltoff matches that of 1977 in which the least amount
of snow on record fell on the Sierra during the previous winter.

This is all in my humble opinion and your decisions should be based upon your
own skills, experience and comfort with snow, ice and runoff conditions.

Good luck!

Greg