[pct-l] water report -- San Jacintos -- 15-19 May, 2004

Here's a water report for the San Jacintos (Calif.
Section B, CA 74 to I-10):

15 May: cache at Hwy 74 -- at least 15 gallons present

15 May: Penrod Cyn -- a small pool of water L of trail
as it crosses the canyon bottom for the first (i.e.,
southernmost) time.  Did not look appetizing.

Live Oak Spring -- I did not visit, but hikers I met
report it's doing well.

16 May: Cedar Spring -- moderate trickling flow out of
pipe, trough full

16 May: Fobes Saddle -- did not see any evidence of a
water cache here (but admittedly I didn't look too
hard)

16 May: Tahquitz Valley -- stream flowing well across
PCT 0.1 miles before TV trail jct.

17 May: Strawberry Cienaga -- flowing -- need dipper
to collect water

17 May: N Fork, San Jacinto River -- running well.
Also running well are the tributaries encountered 1/2
mile and 3/4 mile N of here.  In other words, since
you're probably carring LOTS of water from here, you
can shorten your burden just a bit by taking water
from the second tributary.

Black Mtn Campsite -- did not visit, but a handwritten
note attached to the post on the S side of Black Mtn
Rd indicates water is available at BMC.  This note was
dated 12 May, but the note was hard to read, and so I
could be wrong about this date.  The precise location
of this water at BMC is given on the note.

19 May: Snow Cyn Rd fountain -- operating in good
order

Enjoy!

-- moondancer