[pct-l] JMT bagagge & cameras

 A couple questions for you fine folk...

Karen & I will be flying from the Portland area to Reno via Oakland &
catching the CREST from Reno to Mammoth & then to Yosemite to start our JMT
hike in July.  What do people usually do with their packs on the airlines?
I've heard that it's not a good idea to just check a pack but rather put it
in a duffle or something like that.  Another idea was to unload our packs
enough to get them as carry-ons and combine the rest in one bag we check
through.  On the on other end, what do we do with the bag we put the packs
into?  Are we thinking this through too much & should we just send our pack
through???

2nd question, Regarding cameras.  I know there's probably a million opinions
out there, but here's my options & dilemma.  I have the following camera's
at my disposal...  Nikon F3, totally manual & heavy with 24 mm, 50mm & 105
mm lenses.   I have a Rollei 35 35mm rangefinder w/ fixed lense and a Nikon
950 3.2 mp digital.  I like the Nikon F3 for quality, the Rollei 35 for
weight and the Nikon 950 as a compromise between the two except for the
battery issue.  Does anyone have any strong opinions or other suggestions?
I'm a little cash-strapped but would look at other options.  I plan on
shooting slides if I'm shooting film.

Thanks,

David
david@dalbey.org