[pct-l] Smoking and Fires

 This year , I saw a few thru-hikers smoking and was very worried about their ashes starting something ablaze. I know there are folks who smoke and I not against them or their habit. Some people are not as careful as others.
  Fires by stoves?? I have seem folks with alcohol and white gas have problems. Again it varies on the person. ( Ever see a Svea or MSR over primed??) MSR gaskets fail from time to time as do " Old School" safety pressure caps on Svea ,Primus and Optimus stoves.  The safest stoves may be the canister butane/propane, but even they are bad in the hands of a novice in dry areas. ( If you put a windscreen up around them , they blow as well)  Alcohol stoves are safe as any in well trained hands. ( Just like guns)
  I fear the high number of smokers on the trail this year who smoke at each break and wind carried hot ashes hitting the grass.
  Main thing is to use  " Common Sense" or maybe" Un-Common Sense" would be more fitting when around flame whether cooking or smoking.
  Can of worms????? Hey what do you think about bear canister???? ( TIC)