[pct-l] Selecting A Backpack

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sharon & Chuck Chelin" <chelin@teleport.com>
  The best plan is to not have the gear weight rather than finding ways to
deal with it.  Remember:  With more gear "camping" improves but "hiking"
suffers.  With  less gear "hiking" improves but the "camping" suffers.  The
PCT is about  hiking.
______________________________

A friend I introduced to lightweight backpacking took five years to finally
reduce his base weight to under 20 pounds.  To me that's not light at all.
We argued for years about the "style" we were going to use.  He is a camping
guy, liking to spend up to an hour finding the perfect spot.  I'm a hiking
guy, willing to throw down the bag when I feel time to quit.  They are
completely different approaches to a wilderness experience.

He hiked the Muir trail one year with a 55 pound pack and did not enjoy
himself, bailing at Kearsage Pass.  Rather than planning 7 to 9 miles a day
and camping, with lots of pack-free exploring, he did 15 mile days, and
still focused on camping.  He still has hip problems from that trip.

He does not trust his own experience, choosing to depend on gear - two
raincoats for example - rather than his own judgment.  He's a marathoner and
is in good enough shape to hike 15 mile days, but after ten days he's really
looking forward to the car and the end of the trip.  I, on the other hand,
after that same ten days, look longingly as the trail continues over the
next ridge from the car...

Jeff Olson
Laramie WY