From: "Magical Nexus"

Sent: Wednesday, May 05, 2004 11:40 AM
Subject: [pct-l] Night time temperatures

> Howdy,
>
> Night time temperatures can vary greatly, guys.
>
> For example, last year there were snowfields at the top of the San
Jacintos before the jump off to Idyllwyld and the temps were low. The more
clear the night, the colder it gets.

> Further, on June 2 of 2001 I spent two days under my tarp waiting out a
snowstorm and the subsequent melt-off above Wrightwood in the San Gabriels.
You can bet that I was glad I had my polypropylene underwear, hat and gloves
and a decent layer of clothes under my Ray-way bedroll...It was a hot day
and week prior yet the storm came in from the coast and within hours we
could see our breath. I set up camp expecting snow and was glad I did, as I
awoke dry and warm under my tarp and a six inch layer of the white stuff...

> Do not underestimate temperature fluctuations, it can get quite cold,
especially in low areas. Don't become a statistic. Low blood suger, a quick
temperature change and lack of decent equipment can kill.