[pct-l] Trip Ideas

> On Mon, 3 May 2004, Turbeville, J. x50130 G3 wrote:
>
>  I am planning a trip to California to do part of the PCT this summer.  I
will be arriving on or around the 13th of June and I plan to hike between 15
and 20 days.

Snow shouldn't be a problem this year, as long as there are no more big
storms.  You might hit snow at the tops of the passes, but its unlikely
after the middle of June.

Get Steve Roper's, "The Sierra High Route" and start at one of the section
beginnings, hike the high route, and the Muir Trail back to the spur trail
and y our car.  You could spend a day or two hiking in and hanging food in a
tree, or putting it in a bear box on the JMT, so that you'd only carry 7
days of food.

If you want to hike, start at Tuolomne and end at Whitney Portal.  Figure
out food stuff from Yogi's handbook, or the PCT volume one book by
schaeffer, et al.  You'd still have to hitchike, but its pretty easy.  If
your'e comfortable with the high country and even if you're out of shape you
can average 12 miles a day on the JMT.  You can bail at any number of points
to trailheads on the eastside.  Avoid the Taboose Pass trailhead though.
There are no cars, traffic or people.  It's a long, hot hike out to 395.

I've hung food in a tree at Sonora Pass, starting at Echo Lake and ending at
Tuolomne.  That involved a hitchhike, which is doable, but iffy.  You have
to hitch through nevada, where it's illegal.

150 miles of beauty...  Not the "high" high sierra of tuolomne and south,
but incredible nonetheless..

Just some thoughts...

Jeff Olson
Laramie WY