From: "Mike Saenz" <msaenz@mve-architects.com>
To: "Craig Milo Rogers" <rogers@isi.edu>; <pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Sent: Monday, May 03, 2004 11:43 AM
Subject: RE: [pct-l] Other Notable So. Calif. Fires

Passing along what I've sent to friends earlier today.
I live in Lake Elsinore and I wasn't even aware of the fires until this
morning when I heard about them on the radio coming to work...
The idea that these fires could reach the PCT, though possible (the Cedar
fire comes to mind as an example), is unlikely.
The wind conditions that fanned last October's fires isn't happening right
now.
I'm hearing that the Elsinore fire is pretty much contained and do not pose
any danger to homes or of burning out of control.
Don't know much about the Pendleton fire. The Temecula one is the one that
could possibly burn toward the PCT, but it would have to grow spectacularly
out of control and race east 30 miles to get to The Trail.

Ok. So these are the fires you all are talking about...
750 acres between three fires. These are tiny compared to last fall's fires.
The closest one to my home is the one in "Sedco Hills", about 6 miles, and
across the lake (as well as the 15 freeway) from me:
 "The Gafford fire, just east of Lake Elsinore, burned across 290 acres and
was about 45 percent contained Monday."

The other two are south and west of Temecula (about 20 miles away..)

All is well where I live (for now).

-m

UPDATE: Battles continue against local wildfires

09:59 AM PDT on Monday, May 3, 2004

>From staff and wire services

Firefighters continued battling two wildfires Monday that together have
scorched over 750 acres and threatened numerous homes in southwest Riverside
County.

The fires broke out a day before the official start of Southern California's
2004 fire season, which was declared three weeks earlier than last year
because of concerns about dangerous conditions caused by a lack of rainfall
and a tree-killing bark beetle infestation.

The Eagle fire, which began Sunday afternoon southeast of Temecula, burned
into heavy brush near Highway 79 South and Los Caballos Road, about two
miles from where it began and forced the evacuation of several homes in the
area. Riverside County fire officials report that the fire is now 30 percent
contained.

"We are expecting hot, dry weather again with slight east winds, which will
make the containment effort challenging," said Capt. Rick Vogt of the
California Department of Forestry.

He added that 935 firefighters were on the lines. One firefighter was felled
by dehydration but he was not seriously hurt.

No structures had been lost, although residents of about 100 homes closest
to the fire had been advised to evacuate. The Red Cross set up a shelter for
them at the Temecula Community Recreation Center.

The Gafford fire, just east of Lake Elsinore, burned across 290 acres and
was about 45 percent contained Monday. About 340 firefighters were battling
the fire, aided by water-dropping aircraft.

"Right now there are no homes or structures in danger. We had one
outbuilding burned yesterday," said Phil McCormick, an emergency services
coordinator for Riverside County.

He said full containment was expected by Tuesday afternoon.

Two firefighters suffered minor injuries in fighting the fires. One had a
twisted ankle and the other heat exhaustion and smoke inhalation. Both were
treated at Inland Valley Regional Medical Center in Wildomar, said Riverside
County Fire Department spokesman Phillip Bardos.

The cause of both fires have not been determined, but three motorcycle
riders are being sought in connection with the Eagle Fire.

A third wildfire at Camp Pendleton Marine base in northern San Diego County
burned approximately 1,000 acres and threatened about 200 homes located
along the steep slopes of a nearby canyon. It was only about 5 percent
contained early Monday.

Capt. Robert Ramirez of the California Department of Forestry and Fire
Protection said residents of unincorporated De Luz Canyon were urged to
evacuate as firefighters from 10 agencies battled the blaze.

The cause of the fire was not immediately known.

Sunday's record heat and overly dry conditions created conditions ripe for
the wildfires.

The National Weather Service predicts continued near-record heat Monday as a
strong high pressure system continues to blanket the Southwest.

A cooling trend is expected to begin Tuesday and continue through the end of
the week as the high pressure system moves eastward.

The Associated Press, Press-Enterprise and PE.com staff contributed to this
report.
M i c h a e l   S a e n z
McLarand Vasquez Emsiek & Partners, Inc.
A r c h i t e c t u r e    P l a n n i n g    I n t e r i o r s
w  w  w  .  m  v  e  -  a  r  c  h  i  t  e  c  t  s  .  c  o  m