[pct-l] permits........!

Howard,

Where have you been???
Yes, permits are a fact of life.
But you don't have to pay for most of them. They're simply a tool that the forest managers use to help control over-use of the parks.
Up where you are, this may not be a big problem. But here in Southern California, where several National Forests are within a couple hours drive from the Greater LA, San Diego and Inland Empire areas, crowds of people day hiking and overnight camping are the norm. and THAT's while using the permit system!
I usually apply for a wilderness permit a week in advance of my trips to ensure that I get one. Expect rangers at trailheads, checking to see if you have a permit before they let you in!

Gone are the days when my buddy and I used to decide on where we're backpacking while we're getting on the freeway on a Friday night, and then waltzing into a ranger station for our permit the morning of our hike.

Some ranger stations will only give out "first come first served" permits once their reserved sites are filled (Idyllwild, for one).

BUT- (as some have already noted) Thru-hiker permits cover the length of the PCT and can be had for a small fee.

M i c h a e l   S a e n z
McLarand Vasquez Emsiek & Partners, Inc.
A r c h i t e c t u r e    P l a n n i n g    I n t e r i o r s
w  w  w  .  m  v  e  -  a  r  c  h  i  t  e  c  t  s  .  c  o  m