[pct-l] Permits for thru-hiking for less than 500 miles

At 10:05 AM 4/27/04, yogi yogi wrote:
>Just apply for the thru-hiker permit.  You could "intend" to have a 500+
>mile trip.  Then, for some unforseen reason, your hike is cut short of 500
>miles.  This is much easier than applying for multiple permits for
>different areas.

A permit issued at the point of entry is good for the entire trip, even
across jurisdictions: for example, only one permit is needed for the John
Muir Trail, issued in Yosemite National Park. This one permit is good for
the section of the trail in Inyo National Forest, (including the wilderness
areas) and Sequoia and Kings National Parks.

As far as I know, there are no quotas for any of the PCT trailheads in
Oregon and Washington and there are very few sections that even require a
permit. The sections that do usually have self issue permits available in
kiosks or the trail register boxes at the trail heads.

If are going to be in one of the few sections that require a permit and you
don't want to risk finding a self issue permit kiosk, then write to the
agency that controls your point of entry, and ask them for a permit.

Page 20 of the most recent Wilderness Press OR/WA guidebook has more
information on permits and the addresses of the controlling agencies

--
Brick Robbins
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander, are lost....