[pct-l] tough choices

Since the weight is virtually the same, I'd vote for option 1, as it offers
greater flexibility and redundancy. (I know, redundancy is anathema to a
lightweight hiker--but if it costs only an ounce, go for it.) Have you ever
sat in pitch? (I have.) Having a different pair of pants to wear while you
clean the first one is nice; you get fewer odd looks. Also, if you like
loose, cool shorts for hiking, the convertibles aren't great.