[pct-l] Quick Trip Report - Warner Springs/Ysidro Creek

Just got back from a quick overnighter to Ysidro Creek.
Here's some useful info:

1)	Both Canada Verde and Ysidro Creeks are flowing very well with clear water.
2)	If you're a weekend hiker, DON'T PARK YOU CAR IN THE WARNER SPRINGS SCHOOL PARKING LOT!

It rained the entire 4 miles into Ysidro Creek. The first mile and a half was a pleasant walk under the dripping oaks along Canada Verde. The creek was babbling happily with the additional water volume. Under the oaks, the creek was noisier than the rain dripping down from the trees.
When I got to the crest of the hill, and began hiking down in to the pastures, I learned the combination of being in the little canyon amid the oaks shielded me from the wind that was blowing quite strong from the southwest. The 2-1/2 miles in the pastures was a hike through a surreal landscape: rolling grassland with the cloud cover touching down here and there while it moved past at a very high speed. Very cool!
Dropping down into Ysidro Creek, the topography and trees calmed everything down again. Tents were pitched and gear was stowed. I spent the rest of the afternoon outside listing to the creek compete with the rainfall. Dinner was chicken and pasta, french roll and, of course, my oilcan. The rest of the evening was spent in the tent reading by candle lantern.
The drops falling on my tent were amplified by the taut drum of my rainfly. Once in a while a few fat drops would hit the thick leaf bed I was camped on, sounding for all the world like footsteps outside! I even unzipped and peered out twice to see if what was just outside my tent, just to find nothing in my flashlight beam.
The rain stopped sometime after midnight, but not until it threw a few hailstones down at me. I heard snow fell a couple thousand feet higher. This precipitation is going to really help the thru-hikers that will be heading by here in a week or so...

Sunday morning was bright, sunny and warm. A noisy bird woke me up, I could have slept longer. One more hour....
I spread my gear over a nice sunny patch of grass already dried by the sun. re-packing was a leisurely task. After I was all packed up, I detached my daypack and headed up Ysidro Creek exploring.
What brought me back to this spot was it's beauty. Maybe it's because it's the prettiest spot since Mt Laguna. Maybe because of the flowing creek, but when I came through the first time, I was amazed at how many absolutely PERFECT campsites there were along both Ysidro Creek and Canada Verde. I just HAD to spend an evening in these little slices of heaven!
My explorations up Ysidro Creek (up-creek from the PCT) confirmed my expectations of many more outstanding campsites. All in very secluded and sheltered areas. My advice to the Thru-Hikers: don't stop at Barrel Springs! Keep on for 4 more miles and you'll be in Ysidro Creek. You'll find many, many outstanding places to pitch camp just up the creek from where the PCT crosses the creek. No cars and trucks roaring past you as in Barrel Spring.

The hike back to Warner was a different world from 24 hours before. bright blue, sunny and the cool-breezy conditions the San Diego mountains are known for this time of year. I lingered at each vista point to take in as much of the gorgeous scenery.

All in all, a wonderful weekend! Except for when I got back to my truck....
I parked just inside the gate of the school, next to the fire station. When I got back, the gate was locked and the school was deserted!
A kindly CDF guy lent me his bolt cutters and I cut one of the chain links to get out. The CDF guy said that the ball field parking lot across the street was always open. But I don't think I'll park inside a gate again...

Live -n- learn,

M i c h a e l   S a e n z
McLarand Vasquez Emsiek & Partners, Inc.
A r c h i t e c t u r e    P l a n n i n g    I n t e r i o r s
w  w  w  .  m  v  e  -  a  r  c  h  i  t  e  c  t  s  .  c  o  m