[pct-l] Of hiking plans, hiking trips and a new web site

As April turns into May,  many of us are getting ready
for long hikes. Some are doing their first long hike,
others are going back for a 2nd, 3rd or even Nth long
hike! (A few of us are really crazy, er admirable,
out there. :D).

This year was supposed to be my CDT thru-hike year.
Yes, I said suppose.

Took me longer to find a "real" job than I thought. As
such, did not save up the money I thought I would be
able to do.

After much tossing and turning, decided to post-pone
my hike until next year. I really do mean post-pone
the hike. I am on track to have enough money saved for
next year. The idealist in me says "Heck with it! Go
hiking!". But the pragmatist in me says "a year won't
hurt, esp. if you do not have to go into debt to do
it". I will miss being out there with my PCT 02
buddies..but I went through something similar in 2001.
Post-poned my PCT hike until '02 and had a blast.

Where I currently work gives 4 weeks vacation, so if I
can, will take 3 weeks to do the Colorado Trail. Not
quite the long hike I evisioned, but still a "fix".
The place where I work also does give leave of
abscences. I am typing this e-mail underneath an
inflatable shark and two dogs are in the office
playing. It ain't your typical corporate environment.

So, it pains me to post-pone the hike...but it feels
right.  A friend of mine in town  thought it was funny
how it was the oppostite of what most people do. I had
to admit I was NOT quitting a job. Most people stress
over telling their family they are quitting a job to
go hiking. I am worrying about telling my "trail
family" that I am working instead of hiking! :-)

Oh yes, some of you know the story, but I can assure
you the (former) girlfriend had nothing to do with the
decision. She once told me "I think the outdoors is
more of a lifestyle than a hobby for you". Yep. We
broke up in part because of the tension of me wanting
to do these extended trips and she wanting a family.
The fact that I was post-poning and not canceling the
trip put up the tension level a notch. C'est la vie.

So that is my public annoucement. For my friends on
the CDT this year, e-mail me. I live very close to
many of the CDT trailheads. Zero day in Boulder? As I
plan on doing the Colo Trail this year, maybe you will
see me out there, too. Also set the goal of doing my
first ultra on Mem Day weekend, so that is keeping me
busy, too.

I plan on the CDT next year. Plan on being
unconventional (if there is such a thing for hikers!)
heading north and finish in Glacier. Hopefully be at
the ALDHA-W Gathering to get the plaque with some of
my PCT 02 buddies who are heading south this year. So,
we'll still get the triple crown thingy together. ;-)

Doing this publically rather than send 20 e-mails to
people. Besides, seems at this point in my hiking
"career" most people out there know me anyway on these
lists.

So that is my news. No CDT this year..but will next
year. Has been a topsy-turvy times since Nov 2002 when
I arrived back in Boulder (when they liquidate the
office of where I worked, job market took a slump,
etc.), now things are a bit more stable. And with the
stability, can finally concentrate and focus on the
CDT in '05.

Phew..glad that is done. :-)

In less dramtic news, have a  new website
http://www.magnanti.com  My old site at
backcountry.net will still remain active. But all that
info and more is at the new one. Looks a bit nicer.
Also posted my AT slide show finally. My good camera
disitegrated in the Smokies, so the pics are not the
best from that trip and the scanner I used in 2000 was
not as good as the one I have now. Also threw in somne
pics from New England outings from '97-'99. But, does
give a nice feel for the trip. Six years later and
finally have the photos posted. :-) You can go
directly to may at pics at:
http://gallery.backcountry.net/mags

And, won't bore you with the details, but did a nice
hike in Golden Gate park in the foothills. Not quite
backpacking season in the high country, so went to the
foothills outside of Golden. This was my first time
there and must say it was quite nice. Great place for
an early Spring hike.  Saw my first wildflowers of the
season! This park made national news due to a mountain
lion attack. We hiked on a trail called "The Mountain
Kion Trail"! Hmmm....
Pics of that at:
http://gallery.backcountry.net/co04

=====