[pct-l] Fuel Amounts for Pepsi can stove

Bigfoot writes:

> the alcohol stove isn't the
> "cure all" when you take into account FUEL WEIGHT.  The turning point is
> about 6 to 8 days which is the PCT resupply time. So in my book it's a
> toss up. HYOH, but for me when it's a toss up....
_____

The 6 to 8 day breakpoint for the weight of stove plus fuel is about right,
at least for alcohol vs a gas stove.  If you're going on a two-week backpacking
adventure, a Whisperlite or canister stove with fuel will be lighter.

> Fuel in sealed canisters, safe AND no accidental spills. (ever watched
> your little bottle of alcohol tip over?)
_____

No, but it's a good point for the canisters.  When hiking solo, I usually
carry two fuel bottles and keep about half my supply in each.  With a hiking
partner, we each carry our own and could share in case of accident.

There is no one right stove choice for all occasions, but these interchanges
give people the information they need to make good decisions based on their
needs.

Just to satisfy my curiousity, where do you buy Everclear?  Where's Tom
Reynolds when we need him?  ;-)