[pct-l] desert shirts

I have a question about desert shirts.  I have a plain white long sleeve
wicking shirt from REI, not 100% sure of the material, but it didn't have
any sun rating.  I am very pale and very susceptible to sun burn, so I'm
intending on wearing lots of sunscreen under my white shirt.  How
important is the sun rating?  Will most of the light be reflected off my
shirt anyway even though it's not a fancy desert shirt?  I'm generally ok
with my 45 spf sunscreen but haven't ever been in the desert before so I'm
not used to desert sun.  Any input would be helpful.  Thanks!
Becky