[pct-l] San Bernardino rerouting response

Hello All,

I hiked through the San Bernardino section a few weeks ago on our trek north,
and so I wanted to respond to the PCT rerouting question briefly.  I was very
concerned about this section because of all the talk about the fire damage, but
in reality the trail was very easy to locate and follow for the entire distance
from I-10 to I-15.  The hardest part probably began a few miles before reaching
the crossing of Deep Creek near the Splinters Trailhead access point.  It
wasn't hard to stay on the trail, but there were a number of blowdowns and the
trail was inconveniently rutted out in places...nothing that will slow down a
hiker who has made it that far from Mexico.  The bridge over Deep Creek was hit
and partially collapsed by a falling tree, but it is easy to either shimmy out
along a girder and then get back on the bridge where it is still intact (see my
website for a photo of the bridge: http://www.pctforpets/SU_5.html), or you can
scramble down and make the very easy, shallow ford of Deep Creek.  No recent
fire damage from Deep Creek until just before you get to Lake Silverwood
Recreation Area.  The recreation area is closed, but the PCT is open to
through-hikers (a park employee told me this), and you can camp there too (nice
and quiet since it's closed!)  I found the trail to be very easy to locate and
follow all through Silverwood with I think only 1 blowdown.  Beyond the
entrance to Silverwood, where the Mojave River comes into the lake, was maybe
the trickiest place to find the trail as there is much flood damage.  The way I
found it was to walk up the stream bed of the Mojave River for probably less
than 10 minutes keeping my eyes on the river left bank (the right side of the
river as you're looking upstream).  You will be able to see the place
(described in the guidebook) where the trail dips into the streambed for a few
yards before climbing back up onto the bank.  That's where I picked up the
trail, and it was then easy to locate and follow the trail the entire remaining
distance to I-15.  In a few gullies the trail is washed out, but usually you
can just step right across.  Only one gully gave me any problem, requiring a
minute of loose scrambling down into the gully (there's a burnt shrub to grab
onto) and up the other side.  There were already a few sets of footprints
smoothing out the rough spots along the trail and probably more now.

So, my message would be to forget the hype and not worry about this section so
much.  If you make it that far from Mexico, there are no obstacles that will
give you more than a moment's pause before you figure out how to pass them.
Have fun!

J. Bradley & Banner the dog

-------
J. Bradley Materick