[pct-l] Trail report - Sec. C - Holcomb Creek to Deep Creek

Capt Bivy, Geezer5, and I hiked from near Little Bear Trail Camp (C9) down Holcomb and Deep Creeks to Hwy 173 (C13) on Saturday. The trail was easy to follow. A few observations:

Water was flowing everywhere we expected it, and even a few seasonal streams not mentioned in the book.

There was no snow on the trail, but some was visible on the higher north slopes. Temperature was 30 F at night, and pleasantly warm, enough to want shade at rests, during the day.

The trail is not drawn correctly on Map C10. Some of the trail is a bit further south than as drawn. Specifically, the trail crosses to the south side of Holcomb Creek to meet Road 3N93 before crossing Crab Tree Flats Road, and then crosses back to the north side a short while further. There were a few small blowdowns after the road.

Approaching Holcomb Crossing Trail Camp, there is a PCT post indicating the PCT goes up to the left. This post is correct. Looking at the map, one might think the signed route left is the Crab Flats Trail, but it is in fact the PCT, and the Crab Flats Trail, an eroded bike path, is a few hundred yards further. The trail that goes right down into camp continues past the camp along the stream but is not the PCT.

After leaving Holcomb Creek and climbing the ridge, the PCT enters the 2003 Old Fire. There were many blowdowns in the first part of the burn area.

As previously posted, the bridge over Deep Creek is damaged. The volunteers have done a wonderful job with a detour. The detour is better than the rest of the trail! It is marked with red PCT posts leading down to the creek, which can be waded (shallow) or boulder hopped up or downstream.

The most disgusting part of the trail was the graffiti on the rocks and tire tracks on the trail between the hot springs and the Mojave Forks Dam.

We took the recommended alternate route up over the dam and back down. We didn't check it out, but it seems it may be possible to go down the official PCT and just follow the base of the dam to the ford of Deep Creek.

AsABat