[pct-l] GPS, distance and speed.

> 4) My GPS mileage reports match EXACTLY what my
> truck's odometer tells me (within 1/10 of a mile over 100 miles)

I agree, when I use my GPS device (garmin e-trex legend) in my truck on
the highway, its DAMN accurate.

However, the trail is a different issue.  Highways usually have no
obstructions that would limit contact with satelites (ie: thick tree-
cover).  It sounds too goofy to be true, but thick tree cover DOES
affect how the GPS device is able to contact the satelites.

Additionally, the highway is generally straight. Try fining a road that
is really really twisty and curvy with lots of switchbacks and zig-
zags.  My guess is that the GPS will report a different number than
your odometer on your truck.

Also, as someone else reported on this list, I have seen my GPS device
report very improbable statistics during a hike, such as a max speed of
30 MPH or something like that.  If the unit is recording the max speed
as 30 mph, that must be figured into the average pace and would thus
completely skew your average.

The GPS devices are lots fo fun and can be useful, but I've just never
found them to be any more useful than a map and compass, especially on
well-marked trails.  To me, they are really just extra weight.  I
suppose if you are going cross-country with no trails in an isolated
area that has very few features on the horizon, a GPS would be quite
useful.  But on the PCT, I really see them as a novelty.

peace,
dude