[pct-l] Trail Conditions and Maintenance Report - Long

The following is a trail conditions report and trail maintenance update from
Pete Fish, Sth Calif. PCT Trail Coordinator.

(Please recognize when you are leasurely hiking along the PCT and pass
through a log that is 4 feet in diameter and has been cleanly sawed through so that
it does not inhibit your stride, that these volunteer crews have packed and
hauled the huge chain saw all the way into the wilderness (that you are
enjoying) and spent considerable energy, effort and sweat so that you can. They, the
Trail Gorillas, will be at Lake Morena.  Go over, introduce yourself, shake
their hands and give them a deep heart felt "thank you".)

<<<PCTA Release 4/11/04
 Trail Conditions on the PCT in So. California

PCT Users-
This is a busy year for PCTA and other volunteers as well as govt agencies
trying to cope with the aftermath of So. California wildfires and storm damage
along the trail.  This highlights some of the conditions we are aware but is
not the entire list.  We are trying to take care of as many obstacles as we can
before through hikers arrive but you will undoubtedly find at least these, and
more.
.
? Lake Morena area - Maps A 3 & 4.  Two trail projects are scheduled for
April 22 - 25 in conjunction with the PCT Kickoff.  One in Hauser Canyon, the
other north of Lake Morena.  Kickoff attendees are welcome to help.
? Pioneer Mail to Scissors Crossing.  Maps A 8 - 11.  Largely in the Pine
Burn area (that here affects over 20 miles of the PCT) where erosion is a
problem.  Slough, gullies, and small rocks on the trail often make walking
uncomfortable.  Use care.  The 1.24-mile descent from the Mason Valley Truck Trail into
Chariot Canyon (Map A - 10) is particularly badly eroded and we hope to get a
trail machine and crew in there soon.
? Barrel Springs -  Map A - 13.  Water flow to the trough is intermittent due
to sediment in the pipe.  Suggest you climb to the spring box and get water
there if there is no flow to the trough.  PCT along last ? mile south of Barrel
Spring in burn area was repaired using a BLM trail machine with PCTA
volunteers and an SCA crew in January.
? Canada Verde (Map A-14) and lower Agua Caliente Creek (Maps B 1 & 2) -
Recently repaired by the Forest Service with a trail machine and PCTA volunteers.
Small rocks are still on the trail along the Agua Caliente Creek section.
? Chihuahua Valley area - Maps B 2 & 3.  You will encounter over 10 miles of
the Coyote Burn of July '03 almost to the Riverside County line.  Again
slough, gullies, and small rocks in the trail can make for uncomfortable walking.
Be careful.
? Fobes Saddle to Saddle Junction Maps B 7 - 9.   Waiting on snow to melt to
get downed trees.  Several large boulders obstructing trail from beneath
Antsell Rock to South Peak (Map B-8) are not a problem for hikers, but are for
stock.  We hope to get these removed soon.
? Fuller Ridge - Map B-10.  PCTA volunteers have improved this trail over the
past several years and it is open to stock with the caveat that only
experienced animals and riders should attempt it. We will be working there again in
July.
? I-10 Crossing - Maps B-11 & C-1.  PCTA volunteers collected trash and
signed the approaches two weeks ago.  Should be in good shape.
? Whitewater and lower Mission Creek areas - Maps C 1 - 3.  Erosion and
downed tree problems are reported that BLM plans to get shortly with an Inmate
Crew.
? Upper Mission Creek - Map C-4.  Several perennial slides east of Mission
Creek campground may be a problem for stock.  Trees down in this area are slated
to be cleared by SBNF soon.
? October '03 and older  Burn Areas on SBNF - Maps C  9 - 12.  PCT is open
and most hazard trees cleared.  Adjoining area outside the PCT corridor and
roads may be closed.   Bridge crossing Deep Creek (Map C-11) was badly damaged by
a large burned Ponderosa pine that fell during the wildfire.  The bridge is
closed.  Use short by-pass constructed and signed last week by PCTA volunteers
to ford (ankle deep) Deep Creek starting just south of the bridge.  Danger, do
not climb on the bridge as the decking may be unsupported and is falling away.
 Slide areas in the burn along Deep Creek may be a problem for stock.
? Lake Silverwood - Map C-15.  Largely burned during the Oct '03 fire.  There
are several sections where the trail is covered by slough or affected by
slides and erosion that mostly affects stock.  West of Hwy 138 the trail is
obscure in the flooded (but now dry) riverbed, but the going is fairly easy.  PCTA
and other volunteers are working on this area as we speak.
? South slope of Cleghorn Ridge - Map C-15.  Stock may have to by-pass this
section due to several severe washouts near the 3800 and 4000' contours on the
south slope of the ridge.  We hope to get a trail machine and some volunteers
in here soon, but meantime suggest an alternate by-pass north from Lake
Silverwood SRA entrance 1.43 miles along Hwy 138, then taking dirt road west along
crest of Cleghorn Ridge to the PCT, and head north.

We appreciate getting trail reports so please don't hesitate to contact us.

Pete

J.L. (Pete) Fish
PCTA  So. CA Regional Trail Coordinator
409 La Salle Ave.