[pct-l] LA Aqueduct Status

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 ROYROBIN@aol.com wrote:

> Slyatpct@aol.com writes:
> > Does the creek dry up at Tylerhorse Canyon during the time thru-hikers pass
> > through?  I'd be surprised, it seemed to be ruuning very strong the year I
> > was
> > there.
>
> According to my trail log, we reached Tylerhorse Canyon on June 7, 1997, a
> year when water levels were about average.  The creek was dry at trail level.
> We had to climb upstream a bit to find some pools. There was only a trickle of
> water in the creek above the trail in the morning, but we were able to pick up
> enough water to get us to Oak Creek.  From this, I would not expect to find
> water in Tylerhorse after the first week in June in a typical water year.

Just to add another data point, I arrived there May 3, 1997 and found it
flowing quite nicely right at the trail. The guide book describes
Tylerhorse Canyon as only having water after recent rains. I'm not sure if
that's true but it definitely goes from flowing to dry in a short period
of time.

-Karl

Karl "Birdman" Brandt PCT97 LT98
http://people.ucsc.edu/~kbrandt/