[pct-l] trail pass

I went from Ebbet Pass to I-80 last August only with my PCT Pass. Did not see
a ranger the whole time. A lot of people and Dogs from Echo Summit to Dick's
Pass. I did it Solo.
Camp sites were full in that area. Tinker's Knob has a lot of traffic
believe a pass is only needed in the section from Echo Lake to I80 through
the the Desolation Wilderness. Permits could be picked up at Lake Tahoe. At
one point, some one told be that thru hikers on the PCT didn't need a pass.
but, I think that has changed.