[pct-l] more on cell phones

> Still I am interested to learn about providers
and possible (cheap)
schemes for short term users like Christine from
Germany and myself from
Switzerland.

I don't know how feasible this is from abroad, but
once in the US, go to any library and read the
February 2004 Consumer Reports.

I concluded that they feel that Verizon CDMA
tri-mode is the least
bad choice.    If you look at the coverage map of
Verizon's national plan you see that the PCT (also
northern AT) are nicely mapped out as uncovered
areas, but even so you sometimes get lucky.
Based on my experience ATT TDMA tri-mode might
be OK too.     As mentioned, you will be mostly
using analog so you'll need a trimode phone.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=planFirst&action=viewPlanOverview

seems to be the place to look.
They do have a prepaid plan
that looks like $1.29/minute with no contract.