From: "Mike Saenz" <msaenz@mve-architects.com>
To: "yogi yogi" <yogilists@hotmail.com>; <pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Sent: Thursday, April 08, 2004 9:00 AM
Subject: RE: [pct-l] Question from Guy

No need for a ride, if you're calling your loved ones from a ridge or
mountain top!

There was an article in Backpacker Mag about whether or not cell phones are
a good idea to pack.
Issues raised and argued were:
1) Inconsiderate behavior of making others have to endure your phone call
from mountain peaks like "guess where I'm at?!!!
2) The survivalist purists who sneered at having an "umbilical cord" to
civilization.
3) Those who pack them for safety purposes (I fall into this category).

I have to admit that when I was in Colorado last August, I was the guy at
the top of Mount Sneffels using my phone. But 14k was the only location I
got service the entire trip (I think I was picking up a service tower on
Ouray, I was staring right down onto Telluride and the signal was still
sketchy).

So, if it meant that I had to go 10 days to the next pay phone, or having to
leave the trail to hitch to a town, or packing a cell phone - I'd pack a
cell phone. I do anyways.

M i c h a e l   S a e n z
McLarand Vasquez Emsiek & Partners, Inc.
A r c h i t e c t u r e    P l a n n i n g    I n t e r i o r s
w  w  w  .  m  v  e  -  a  r  c  h  i  t  e  c  t  s  .  c  o  m