[pct-l] San Bernardino relocation

> >See: http://www.fireimaging.com/imaging/2003/california/index.html

Matt Maxon made a map of this fire which is available at
http://www.4jeffrey.net/hike/pct/fire/ .

> >Interested in knowing about whether trail has been relocated due to burn
area from Whitewater to Cedar Glen.

No relocation was necessary, although I expect to find some erosion and
sloughing of soil onto the trail.

AFAIK, the PCT is open to hikers through all four of the fires affecting the
trail in 2002 and 2003.

> The fire did burn down Hook Creek Road and into Deep Creek.  A large
> burning tree fell on the Splinters bridge and partially destroyed it.
> Pete and his crew have done repair work in that area and the trail is
> passable.

Trailratz1 told me they made a detour from one end of the bridge down to the
creek and back up the other side, and marked with sufficient posts. They
also worked the trail about 1.5 miles north.

Paul, Bruce & I will be hiking this on Saturday and I'll report here and to
PCTA and Pete Fish by Monday.

> There is a large area in C14-C17 that is burned over.  The trail is hard
> to find/use due to post-fire erosion.

Paul and I hiked this March 20. Navigation was not difficult, although there
was some erosion and more sloughing. Much of the trail now consists of a
line of footprints on a soft steep side-slope. One 1/2-mile section we
road-walked from Hwy 138 leaving Silverwood Lake on advice of the ranger. A
bit further, there was one gully that required a short steep scramble down
and back up as the trail was completely washed away - stock would not make
it. My trail condition notes are on the PCTA Trail Conditions page, so I
won't repeat them here.

AsABat