[pct-l] Re: sprained ankle

> Take a hard look at the sole shape on your shoes.  The most common cause
> of the outward roll is from the foot landing on an uneven surface and
having a sole that is too narrow to counter the rolling motion.

>Often you can prevent most occurrences by wearing shoes (or boots) whose
soles are wide enough to provide a stable base whenever they hit down on
an uneven surface.

I couldn't agree more! I had this same problem until I started wearing
shoes with a wider base.

Also, I think that the more stable your heel is in the shoe the better. If
your heel slides to the side as you step down on an uneven surface, you
will be more likely to roll your ankle. Using orthotics or wearing shoes
with better heel support will definitely help keep you from rolling your
ankle.

Get a pair of good trail runners with a wider base and heel support or
some light hikers such as Merrell or Montrail etc. The light hikers are
designed to be used on uneven surfaces and therefore (usually) have wider
bases and heel support.(IMHO)

Brian Bowlsby
PCT '04