[pct-l] sprained ankle

> > earlier that my ankle were rolling (always
> to the outside) on really rocky terrain.

I've sprained both ankles off and on in basketball and tennis mishaps.  When
I first switched to running shoes I carried a 40 pound pack and routinely,
meaning at least once a day, rolled off an ankle and went fell down onto the
trail.  When I moved to more lightweight gear, I found that even though I
was wearing running shoes, I was still hiking like I was wearing boots.

With boots I threw my feet forward and rolled forward over them far more
than I do now.  I much more "feel" with the balls of my feet where I'm going
to step and come down further into the step than I used to.  I'm more
centered and balanced in the middle of each step in running shoes.  When I
get tired on flat ground is when I tend to roll my ankle over as I fall off
a one inch rock.

If I remember correctly RAy Jardine talks about this in one of his books.

Jeff Olson
Laramie WY