From: pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net] On Behalf Of The Mountain
Goat
Sent: Thursday, April 01, 2004 11:40 PM
To: pct mailing list
Subject: RE: [pct-l] insects!

I have never used the time release version.
unfortunatly I am very dry skinned, and still find that the 95% Deet is
still far better.

The study is probably valid about sweat breaking Deet down. However, I don't
think I can swallow the idea that 30% deet is anywhere near as good as
70-95%, Ive had Personal experience with hungry little insects. can still
remmeber people putting on 25% deet lotion and the bugs stay away from them
for about 5 minutes, and I handed out some of my 95% proof to some of them,
to give them some relief from the bugs for about 30 minutes. Buy them things
were hungry...

It may be that the 25% stuff was not a good blend, or something, but other
than the 95% melts plastic, I rather perfer it....

P.S. the place where we were "experimenting" with 25 vs 95% deet was near
Banner and Ridder on the the JMT.

-Mountain Goat-

Jerry Goller <jerrygoller@backpackgeartest.org> wrote:
Have you ever tried the timed release stuff? The military did a study that
showed that concentrations above 30% added nothing. The reason that 100%
seems to work better is that sweat breaks down DEET and it loses
effectiveness. The higher concentration appears to work better because it
will take more breaking down (as a very simple explanation). The controlled
release stuff does just that....releases it over time (12 hours or so) at
concentrations of 20% to 30%. It's not to be confused with the lotions that
have "normal" DEET at 20%. Jerry .hack.net/mailman/listinfo/pct-l