[pct-l] Illegal Contacts

Ummmm....
I'd imagine that the stretch between I-8 and Mt Laguna would be where you'd most likely encounter illegal immigrants.
Think about it: from Campo to Morena, the trail is heavily watched by Border Patrol, along with electronic sensors, aerial patrols, etc.
These folks are laying low and most likely staying away from the highest traffic trail, the PCT (particularly since the BP station at Campo so close). I spoke to the BP when I signed in my first hike from the Terminus. He assured me that I'd be MUCH more likely to encounter (read into this "surprised on the trail") by the BP than see any illegals. These guys track illegals with extreme sophistication! I was told that, there was one particular intersection of the PCT and a dirt road, just south of Hauser, where they count footprints in the sand to calculate time, direction and number of illegals crossing. They smooth the sand each day just for this purpose.
And the only way to get by the checkpoint north of Boulder Oaks is the trail.....

M i c h a e l   S a e n z
McLarand Vasquez Emsiek & Partners, Inc.
A r c h i t e c t u r e    P l a n n i n g    I n t e r i o r s
w  w  w  .  m  v  e  -  a  r  c  h  i  t  e  c  t  s  .  c  o  m