[pct-l] O.T. Digital Cameras and Thru-Hikes

The biggest thing with your camera is to know it.  Try going out on a full
set of batteries and take as many pictures as you can.  Do that over the
course of a couple of weeks, letting the batteries run all the way down.
While doing that, note how many pictures you took, and even  how many times
you used the flash.  Use the camera as much as "normal" as you can during
that time.

Once you know a general number as to how many pictures it can take on full
batteries, then you can estimate how long the batteries might last you on
the trail.  Granted, that number is relative to many things, like the amount
of time the display's on, number of times the flash went off, and etc.  But
it'll give you a general idea.

The manufacturer of your camera might have that number published somewhere.
I know that my manual for the Digital Rebel said it'll take 600 pictures on
a single charge.  So, I was planning on carrying two batteries to cover me,
just in case (although, 1200 pictures is a lot!)

Daniel