[pct-l] O.T. Digital Cameras and Thru-Hikes

The Olympus Stylus is repeated quite often on this list as the camera
of choice.  That is what I use on all my hikes.  Its not digital, but
as you say, the batteries last much longer because of that.  Its also
durable and "weather-proof".   I have said before on this list that
while hiking from tahoe to whitney in 98, I passed two unreleated
people who were also using the Olympus Stylus and said that they had
dropped the camera in a stream and recovered it quickly and it still
worked fine.  I've certainly exposed mine to alot of rainy weather with
no problems.

I also met some pro photographers on top of Whitney who had lugged up
100lbs of photo gear who said that the Olympus Stylus was their "point
and shoot of choice".  One of them said that he carries one in his
glove box in case he see's the "perfect shot" and doesn't have his good
camera.

OTOH, that camera is probably old technology by now.  I bought mine in
97.  There are a number of super-small and light weight cameras out
there these days, and going digital eliminates the HUGE expense of
developing all the film that you will take on a thru-hike.  In
addition, with a digital camera, you will probably take more photos and
thus have more opportunities for that "perfect shot".

I have been looking at replacing my Olympus with the Pentax Optip
(mentioned on this list), The Casio Exilim, or the Minolta Dimage.  All
of these are digital and tiny.

I am also looking at these two SUPER-TINY camera's from oregon
scientific:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000AMDXZ
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000AMDXL

Good luck choosing a camera!