[pct-l] insects!

Hi everyone -

I feel like I'm opening pandora's box, but let's talk insects. Last summer, my worst, worst hiking day came on a four-foot-high Sierra stream crossing while being nibbled alive by little black flies. I was using Deet-based lotion (around 20%), and while it would keep the bugs away for, oh, about 10 minutes, no sooner did I sweat than I needed to replace it.

This summer, I'm heading to the LT in Vermont in late June, and I've heard the mosquitos (or is it no-see-ums?) can make for some pretty miserable days. Of course we'll try to cover up as much as we can, and maybe invest in those hats with the netting attached...what do you folks suggest?

My local REI outfitter suggests again a Deet-based lotion as well as Permethrin to wash my clothes in pre-hike. I've never heard of it, but this salesguy was practically writhing in excitement about it.

Please, can folks share some thoughts for my insect enlightenment?

thanks!
Detour