[pct-l] Rattlers?

> If I am hiking alone, should I carry a snake
> bite kit?

Everything that I have heard suggests that snakebite kits are pretty
much useless.

I have not been bitten by a rattle snake, but I do know someone who was
bitten and survived without seeking medical attention.  Doctors surmise
that he didnt get a full dose of venom.

I have seen litterally dozens of rattle snakes in the wilderness and
have never even seen a snake try to strike me or anyone that I was
with.

Most of the snakes that you see in the wilderness do not want to have
anything to do with you.  As long as you do not make the snake feel
threatened (ie: running up to it quickly like you would to hop over
it), you most likely will not have any problems.  If you see a rattle
snake in the trail, try to walk around it instead of hopping over it or
prodding it with sticks to make it move or doing anything that would
bother the snake.  I have heard of several cases of bites where people
were walking at or near dusk and accidentally stepped on snakes because
they didnt see them.

One of the wildest stories I ever heard was about this guy who was
sleeping without a tent when a rattle snake slithered up next to him
and went to sleep.  Apparently he just let it sit there figuring that
the snake was looking for warmth.  Sure enough, as soon as the sun came
up, the snake quietly left without incident.  (I have no idea if its
true, but the guy who told me this story about someone else is
credible).

peace,
dude