[pct-l] Back Troubles and Pack Weight

> My back isn't in such hot shape either.  I have found that every pound
> reduced in my pack makes a big difference to my comfort and endurance.
> Therefore, I strongly suggest that you save several pounds by not carrying
> a framed (whether internal or external) pack, and instead carrying a
> lightweight, no-frame pack such as a GoLite (I use the Gust).  I've been
> able to carry 35+ pounds (when I was carrying 12 - 16 pounds of water)
> with no problem, despite having no frame.  I put a sleeping pad ? the
> foldable Z-Rests work best ? into the pocket at the back side of the pack,
> and I have plenty of support.  Of course, you should try this out first on
> some practice hikes to see if it works for you.
> IMHO, YMMV, HYOH.

I disagree with this. I've found that a properly fitted pack, with internal
support, relieves much, if not all, of the weight from your back. Even with
a very, very heavy load in my Osprey Aether 90, my back doesn't suffer at
all. The hipbelt cinches tight to my hips, the "recurve struts" inside the
pack itself transfer the weight from my shoulders and back to my hips and
legs. The no frame packs simply don't do this.

But it may be different for you. I suggest going in to a reputable outdoors
store and try one with a realistic pack load, and perhaps with a
more-than-you-expect pack load as well.

Gray