[pct-l] Maps vs books

Marshall, you thought your map, compass and GPS were wrong???!!!

"....damit, magnetic north musta changed on me again! I HATE when that happens!"

or

"...check that out! The sun's rising in the west today!"

Reminds me of the time my buddy and I just crested a ridge and were to descend into a bowl above tree line. We the trail forked to go along a craggy ridge (a class 4 summit route), and down into the bowl towards the "walk up" approach we intended to go. Of course, we both reached for our maps & compasses, me to site some landmark peaks to orient myself, my buddy to determine which trail to take.
My buddy pointed up the craggy ridge and declared it the way to go. I gently suggested that the bowl was between us and our approach.
I let him protest and argue for a few minutes (he was so insistent!), then I stepped away from the trail sign I was leaning against that pointed the way down into the bowl....
I should have let him do the scramble and met him at the top.

Seemed obvious, but....

M i c h a e l   S a e n z
McLarand Vasquez Emsiek & Partners, Inc.
A r c h i t e c t u r e    P l a n n i n g    I n t e r i o r s
w  w  w  .  m  v  e  -  a  r  c  h  i  t  e  c  t  s  .  c  o  m