[pct-l] weight loss

Last summer I went from 215 to 193, a loss of 22 lbs, or around 10 % of my
start weight.  I was an eating machine and rarely got a hiker hunger
while out on the trail.  I generally left each break with a pocket full of
food. Something like a snickers bar, a bag of hot peanuts, and a maybe
milky way bar.  After two hours or so, I'd take another break and maybe
scarf down some cheese or tortillas with nutella. Then, leave with another
pocketful of food.  Sometime after noon, I'd stop for an hour and cook a
big lunch.  Double ramen, double liptons, mac and cheese, 1/2 lb of pasta
with packet sauce were typical items on my menu.  Everything got 1/4-1/2
cup of olive oil, including the ram (sop up the oily juice with a
tortilla).  I was carrying a lot of food (3-3.5 lbs per day), but needed
it as I tended to hike all day long (6 am to 8 or 9 pm). Just like
water in SoCal, you've got to carry and eat a lot of food on a long hike.

Suge

Christopher Willett
Department of Mathematics
Indiana University