[pct-l] Pocketmail

I too am fiddling with a Pocketmail Composer for possible use on the PCT and afterward.

Quick listing of advantages to the Pocketmail Composer as I see them:

1) Very convenient -- you can walk up to most telephones, dial an 800 number and then transmit and receive emails by holding the Composer up to the telephone. Works with many cell phones too.

2) Keyboard is QWERTY and it's a large size for a PDA type device.

3) Battery life is pretty good.

4) The Composer takes AA batteries so you can use standard AA lithium batteries for longer battery life.

5) Has a clipboard.

6) If you currently use a Palm type device you may be able to use it with the Pocketmail service and get a device called a backflip -- note the backflip only works with the older, no-longer-made Palms (IIIc for instance). There's a 3rd party company that makes an adapter for modern day Palms using the backflip but I don't know if that works okay or not. For hiking it'd just be more stuff to have to tote and worry about if you wanted to use a Palm with the Pocketmail service.

7) The Pocketmail people are testing a my.journal service where you'd upload directly from the Pocketmail to a webpage that would be viewable by family and friends. They're not done testing it yet so it's not on-line for the general public and final features are unknown by Pocketmail until they get done testing.

Quick listing of the disadvantages of the Pocketmail Composer as I see them:

1) The processor is slow so if you're a fast typer on a QWERTY type keyboard the processor won't begin to keep up with your typing speed. The keyboard is designed to be typed on with your thumbs, which does slow down your typing speed so the processor can keep up most of the time. It's pretty easy to get used to typing with your thumbs.

2) No spell checker, no spreadsheet, no add-on software. What comes delivered with the Pocketmail Composer is all there is (notepad type app, appointments, calendar, task list and contacts application are the main applications that come delivered with a Pocketmail Composer).

3) The software for syncing with Outlook sucks so if you're intending to sync with your desktop apps after or before hiking it may be problematic. I talked with the Pocketmail folks about this and they know their sync software sucks but they're not intending to upgrade it at all with the current models.

4) Watch the charges against your credit card for the Pocketmail service when you sign up. As of a few weeks ago, even if you only bought a 3 month contract to sign up, your credit card gets charged for a full year. That's because the Pocketmail folks changed their mind in mid-stream and went only with a 1 year contract. As such, those distributers that had wholesaled 3 month service cards were stuck so they entice you to buy the 3 month service knowing that you'll get charged for a full year when you do the sign up with the Pocketmail people. So keep in mind you may get charged for a full year of service regardless of what you bought from a distributer (if the Pocketmail haven't changed the policy again already after all the outrage from buyers).

4) No way to hook up an external keyboard that I know of.

5) No ability for expansion at all.

Advantages -- conveninent in that you can send and receive emails by holding the Pocketmail Composer up to just about any lined telephone and many cell phones.

Disadvantages -- can't keep up with a fast typer, no ability to expand, credit card gets charged for a full year whether or not you just bought a 3month card to try it out, sync software sucks.

Datto

PS: There's a yahoo group for Pocketmail.