[pct-l] 6th Annual Day Zero PCT Kickoff (ADZPCTKO)

Seven weeks and counting.  The organizers of the ADZPCTKO are putting
together the logistics to throw another great gathering.  The website at
www.pct77.org/adz has all of the details that you need to know.  The registration link is
not active yet but should be within the next couple of weeks.

We have reserved 44 campsites for Friday and Saturday nights so don't panic
if you have contacted the San Diego Parks & Rec reservations line and found
that the park is sold out for that weekend.  We will be distributing the
campsites with reservations.  There should be sufficient room for everyone
(hopefully!).

A few requests;

- Ice and ice chests for putting the mountain of drinks on ice

- Propane stoves - barbecues.  The more cooking surfaces we have the faster
food can be prepared for 350 to 400 people!

- Coffee pots - makers

- Friday night is a potluck this year - dinner will NOT be provided (nor is
breakfast Saturday morning).  Bring a dish to feed 15 or 20 and share it, or
count on eating at one of the little restaurants around Lake Morena and Campo.

- Deserts for Saturday dinner

- Fruit - watermelons, etc.

- Donations of money - check the website for details - we shall also be
asking for donations when you register to cover the cost of the campsites.

- Donations of gear - we'll be holding a silent auction - if you have some
gear that is new or in good shape, that is unique or highly desireable, please
consider donating it.  Books, maps and clothing too!  We already have some
great items to auction from some of the long distance hiking communities finest
vendors.

- Consider helping out the trail and join the maintenance crew going out each
day from Thursday to Sunday.

- Start thinking about your innovative, creative, unique and downright stupid
entries to the gear contest "AGPLDHG&IR".

- Thru and section hikers - consider entering your "hiking strategy", that is
your base pack, clothing and strategy for utilizing it to the maximum
efficiency, into the G-Force Contest.  This is judged by Glen Van Peski or GVP Gear
and Read Miller and you can bet that they get really anal about those fractions
of a gram!

Rides to the border will be offered every morning, as well as other points to
the north or south for day hiking, so get your maps out and plan a great
dayhike in the area.

We're looking forward to meeting all of the class of '04, are jealous as
hell, and also looking forward to getting together with all of you, that have come
year and again, to become known as the PCT Community.

Be sure to thank all of the organizers when your there, too.
- Donna Saufley is providing all of the drinks
- Bob Riess "the ADZ Food Dude" will be providing all of the food and
directing the preparation of it
- Carl Siechert is the great webmaster
- Terry Thompson will be providing all of the eating and serving utensils
- Jason "Squeak" Cramer will be running the gear contest again (just before
he starts out on his own PCT thru-hike attempt)
- Charlie Jones directs and mans the water cache on the San Felipe Hills.
- Christina Kudija makes all of the name tags
- Jim and Anne Reidman man the water cache at Scissors Crossing and Lucky 5
(along with others) and provide some great and monstrous salads
- The Rangers at Lake Morena have graciously hosted our astronomically
growing gathering and made the events great by being flexible and accomodating.
Show your appreciation directly and by following their simple rules of the park.
- AsABat provides a water and trail conditions website and manages any
emergencies that we may have to deal with (like the lost hiker two years ago!)

It is these people and YOU that make the ADZPCTKO what it has become.

See ya' at Lake Morena!

Greg "Strider" Hummel
ADZPCTKO Coordinator