[pct-l] Unleaded Gas in Whisperlite Stove

In a message dated 3/1/2004 12:07:36 PM Eastern Standard Time,
kandmheintz@juno.com writes:

>     I have an MSR Whisperlite stove (the Shaker model) which I intend
> to bring on my 2004 PCT thru-hike. My understanding is that at many of
> the resupply points along the trail, one will only find automobile
> gasoline available for fuel. I have never used anything but white gas in
> my stove before, although the manufacturer says unleaded gas may also be
> used. My question is maybe a silly one. Does it matter what grade
> (octane) one chooses at the pump, and how do I actually go about filling
> one those little orange MSR bottles without covering myself and half the
> town with gasoline?

You want to use regular unleaded fuel (low octane) and fill the bottle
gingerly.  You'll be happy when you walk away from the pump with only a $.15 charge
to top it off!!!!  Your stove should work fine on gasoline, but will probably
have sooty flame soiling your pot.  Make sure to shake the stove or tap it
lightly on a log, rock etc. before use until you hear the cleaning mechanism
clicking freely.

Once you're out there, you'll probably see most using a homemade alcohol
stove, give it a thought, no parts to break down or clog.

Sly